Sunday, December 14, 2008

Postville Lecture


Earlier this year I attended a very good lecture concerning the Raid In Postville. I was moved by presentation of Dr. Camayd Freixas in which he explained everything about the raid and how it built up to the present situation in Postville. Everything impressed me from their involvement with the CIA to other acts like NAFTA and CAFTA.

It was hard to hear that there are not enough immigration judges to keep up with the amount of Mexicans arrested. The consequence unfortunately is that many of these people are deported without being given the option to explain their own personal experiences.

Although I share some sympathy with these immigrants and I understand they need work to survive, I also feel that doing it illegally is wrong. All this time they had carried fake ID's and illegally worked at Agriprocessors. I hear some friends and faculty that sound very, very sympathetic with these illegal workers. To an extent I agree, but people...wake up. These are illegal immigrants. They should not be working for our factories unless they are completely qualified.

In conclusion, I am deeply saddened by the present situation in Postville and I wish the immigrants best of luck, however this is a very controversial issue and I have not yet fully formed my opinion.

1 comment:

Samantha Ann Murry said...

I attended that lecture too! It is a very touchy subject, and it is hard to form an opinion about what is right and wrong. You do have to feel bad for their families though!